These are my top-ten favorite books/series overall. They are listed in order of my favorites.
If there is a rating next to it, it is simply to make readers aware that those books might contain a few instances of profanity or make a reference to some material that might not be suitable for some younger readers. If there is a rating next to it, I have explained why I gave it that rating.
- Mara Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
- Even my dad liked this book. It’s a historical fiction-mystery kind of book. It is my favorite book.
- Ranger’s Apprentice (series) by John Flanagan
- Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan (PG-13)
- This is a very good book. There is no sex in it, but they do make reference to prostitutes and there is some profanity (“bastard”, “damn”, “Oh my God”) every now and then.
- Some violence in this book may be disturbing to children under thirteen.
- How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
- The books are nothing like the movie, but they are equally enjoyable. However, I do not know that I would have enjoyed this book series if I read it. I listened to this on audiobook. The narrator is superb. He has different voices for each of the different characters. So, my recommendation for this book is actually for the audio book.
- The Underland Chronicles by Suzzanne Collins
- Ascendant (Songs of Chaos Book 1) by Michael R. Miller
- Mage Errant by John Bierce
- Temeraire (book series) by Naomi Novik (PG)
- First book: His Majesty’s Dragon
- There is no description of sex in this book series, but there are occasional references to a man and a woman spending the night together. Nothing offensive or graphic (if it was, I wouldn’t have read it. I don’t like sex in books.
- In a future book, it does reference that two male characters are in a relationship together. However, like the references to sexual intercourse in the books, there is no description of anything, nor is it a major plot line. It simply comes up once or twice.
- Stoneheart Trilogy by Charlie Fletcher
- Blackthorn Key (series and name of first book) by Kevin Sands (PG)
These were in the top-10, and have simply been pumped out of the top-10.